West Ham Issue Warning Over Divisive Chant

Rifqi
4 Min Read

West Ham United have spoken out against a chant containing an anti-Palestinian message and linked to Israel international Manor Solomon, asking supporters to avoid repeating it when they welcome Charlton in their opening Championship home fixture on Saturday.

The club’s response follows the controversy surrounding their 2-2 draw away to Burnley on Sunday. A section of the travelling West Ham support was heard singing the chant during the match, prompting the club to issue a clear message ahead of their first home game of the new season.

West Ham acknowledged that songs and chants have long been an important feature of football culture, but stressed that support should never cross the line into material that alienates or offends others.

The club said supporters should continue creating a loud atmosphere in backing the team and its players, while making sure their songs do not promote hostility or division among fellow fans.

Club Reaffirms Its Inclusive Identity

In its statement, West Ham also highlighted the club’s long-standing commitment to inclusivity, pointing back to its establishment in 1895.

The club said its identity has developed alongside its home in one of London’s most diverse and multicultural communities. West Ham added that the club has consistently sought to welcome people from different backgrounds who become part of its wider football family and embrace its values.

Equality, equity, diversity and inclusion were described as fundamental principles at the club. West Ham also stressed its belief that football can bring people together rather than drive communities apart.

The message extended beyond supporters. Players, employees, officials and fans who represent the club are all expected to uphold those principles, regardless of their personal backgrounds or beliefs.

West Ham concluded by calling on supporters to make their backing something the club can take pride in, particularly as the team begins life in the Championship.

Solomon Makes Immediate Impact at Burnley

The controversy came on a weekend when Solomon himself made an impressive start to his West Ham career.

The Israeli winger marked his first appearance for the Hammers by scoring their second goal at Turf Moor. His strike arrived in the 72nd minute and appeared to put West Ham in complete control after they had established a two-goal advantage.

Solomon, 27, joined West Ham from Tottenham earlier this month in a transfer reportedly worth £5m. His career in English football has also included spells with Fulham and Leeds.

However, the visitors were unable to hold on for victory. Burnley fought back through Zian Flemming, who scored twice, with his second goal arriving during stoppage time to secure a 2-2 draw.

Espírito Santo Praises New Signing

Despite the late collapse, West Ham manager Nuno Espírito Santo was pleased with what he saw from Solomon on his competitive debut.

Speaking to BBC Radio London, the manager said the goal should provide an important boost to the winger’s confidence while also praising the qualities he can bring to the squad.

Espírito Santo described Solomon as a highly talented footballer and expressed satisfaction that the new signing had found the net in his first outing for the club.

Solomon will now look to build on that promising introduction when West Ham return home to face Charlton on Saturday, with the club simultaneously urging supporters to ensure the atmosphere reflects the inclusive values it says have defined the organisation throughout its history.

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Tinggalkan Balasan

Alamat email Anda tidak akan dipublikasikan. Ruas yang wajib ditandai *